Snowy Speculations

Image
If I could paint, I would have tried to replicate the landscape very early this morning. Illuminated by the faintest hints of light and hours before sunrise, the cold, stark landscape lay completely still in its snowy blanket. Naked trees stood proudly and quietly against this backdrop, this palate of pure white an unforgiving place for any creature, big or small, to attempt to cross without drawing attention to its existence at this time. Even our ancient tire swing looked sleepy and droopy, suspended precariously close to the ground, as if the effort of hanging from a tree limb was too much for it. To the east, the only rays of light visible were the ones coming from the across the river, and even those seem hushed and muffled, like a child tired and murmuring not to wake them up just yet.  The young families down the road have gone all out with Christmas lights this year. Bright colours adorn the night skies and my neighbours even have a Christmas Cat and a Christmas Dinosaur that i

Gone Fishing...

Gone Fishing...

Our property is riddled with field rocks of various sizes, which seems to be a common plight on homes located on the lines and concessions in Niagara-on-the-Lake.  They're found everywhere in the yard, the flower beds and the gardens. Our side property once housed several rows of grapes that were torn out before we moved into the house. My husband spent a few weekends hand raking and digging that part of the property until it was smooth and finally seeded it so that it became a usable part of the yard. He collected piles of these rocks, some that we found uses for, others that remain piled by the edge of the forest.

Whoever owned the property a few decades ago, must have been just as diligent as my husband was and possessed an artistic vision that can be seen in little details wherever the eye looks. There was a small fish pond to the east side of the house that somebody had shaped like a lily pad. The elevated rim was decorated with these stones, as well as a beautiful fountain on the side of the pond. It was stunning in a rustic sort of way and the sound of the water cascading out of the fountain was a pleasant appeal when we first viewed the property. The pond housed about forty Koi fish when we moved in and their vibrant colours glistened in the sun. Whenever the surface water started warming up in the spring,summer and fall, they generally stayed at the top, wiggling their little fins in a funny sort of dance.

The dancing fish got the attention of a certain Blue Heron who decided that this catch would certainly make for an easy lunch. I happened to glance out the window and saw this stork-like creature parading around in our little pond like he belonged there. I ran out of the house and when he saw me coming, he must have noticed my strong disapproval from a mile away as he picked up his sleek body and with massive, graceful strokes, arose from the water and flew away into the safety of the forest. I thought my job was done and headed back into the house to continue my work.

A short while later, I happened to glance out the window again and saw the cocky heron back in the pond parading around as if he owned the place. My blood pressure hit the roof! Out I ran again. Up he swooped and then landed in a tree at the edge of our property facing me. The wheels started to turn in my head. I realised his intention was to wait until I was out of sight again and then continue to enjoy his smorgasbord as he had minutes before.  But there was no way I was going to let that happen! I camped out under a nearby tree with a stack of work that I needed to finish and kept my eye on this astute plunderer. He continued to eye me and I him, a sort of standoff to see who would last longer.

I have no idea how long we both sat there waiting for the other to give in. But eventually I had to go and just as I got up, he decided he too had had enough and disappeared behind the forest in search of dinner somewhere else.

Like the field stones everywhere, we can use nature to make something beautiful and perhaps even useful at times. Even as a child, I have always appreciated the sleek lines of blue herons crossing the skies above me. Their shape is like a piece of art. I love seeing them stand perfectly still along the edges of Four Mile Creek, their silhouettes making passersby question whether they are really looking at a statue or the actual bird . But the intelligence of this particular heron who recognised an opportunity and took it, has given me a new perspective of these creatures. Why shouldn't he be allowed to fish for lunch in my pond? It's human nature to go out and protect what we claim as ours. But the next time that heron returns, I'll give him a few extra minutes before I come tearing out of the house to chase him away again!

Lolita Hale

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snowy Speculations

The Sleeping Giant

A scene from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation?